Monday, January 16, 2012

Crockpot BBQ chicken...sorta

I'll start with the recipe and then I'll explain.

4 to 6 chicken breasts
1/4 cup brown sugar
heaping 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 bottle Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
1/4 cup vinegar (not pictured because I'm flighty)

Put everything in a bowl, except the chicken, and mix well.  Put the chicken in the crock pot and pour the mix over top.  Cook 4 to 6 hours on low.  You can put them in frozen.  I already had them thawed so I just did it that way.

It smelled a.ma.zing!  However, when I opened the crock pot the sauce was really thin.  I'm a sauce girl so I was extremely disappointed by this.  I transferred it to an 11x13 dish and put it in the oven on *350 for about twenty minutes, making sure to get in there about every seven minutes and spoon more sauce over top of the chicken.  That made all the difference!  The sauce got nice and thick and actually stuck to the chicken.

Daddy and B-Lil gobbled it right up.  It was a touch spicy but nothing anyone complained about.  The rich flavor made up for it.  I'd venture to say this would be a great wing sauce as well.

Rooney is a carb queen and was more consumed with the biscuits I made to go with it.  When I told her she had to eat a few bites of chicken before she would be allowed more bread she chomped a bite out of her biscuit, turned it upside down, and exclaimed "aww, sad face!"
It should be noted that if you pull the pan out of the oven, are spooning more sauce over the chicken and think "hmm, this doesn't smell as awesome as I thought it would...it smells burnt, shoot".  You should probably make sure you didn't carelessly throw your oven mitt nearly into the flame under your pot of boiling Norwex rags on the stove.  Just a little friendly PSA for you, you're welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment